Important notice: The information contained within this article was last updated on the 4th of July 2016.
As of 29/4/13 any private garden rubbish can be collected from your house by arrangement.
Electrical and other bulky household items (washing machines, air conditioning units, satellite dishes, garden furniture etc)
These must NOT be left by rubbish bins anywhere. You can call the same telephone number used for garden rubbish removal to arrange collection from outside your property on a specific day.
Do not leave anything at the old tip behind the supermarket, this is now solely for Cala Llonga communal areas.
Call 971 36 19 63 to arrange collection.
All professional gardeners must take their client’s garden rubbish to the Mahón or Milà tips.
The unauthorized disposal of rubbish in any other spot will be fined with up to 600€.
SEPTIC TANKS AND POOL OVERFLOW WATER
It is very important for all of us to ensure that our septic tanks are working efficiently, as this frequently causes very unpleasant conditions not just for you but also your neighbours and even the condition of the roads and pavements. If you see anything of concern please report it to the police.
We would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that you are legally NOT allowed to empty your swimming pool wash onto the public roads. This needs to be piped back into your own septic tank or recycled for watering your garden.
NOISY OR NEGLECTED DOGS
This is a constant dilemma. In the event of a dog barking too much at unsociable times, please report to the police. Any wilful neglect or cruelty to animals can also be reported:
Protectora d’Animals de Maó
Josep Maria Quadrado, 10
07700 – Maó (Menorca)
Phone: +34 699 20 28 98
STRAY CATS IN CALA LLONGA
This is becoming a problem for many neighbours, as colonies have formed and are being fed by people.
Specific rules for construction, building works and works on public roads
General conditions applicable to construction, building works and works on public roads:
- The persons responsible for the construction, building works and works on public roads, in order to minimise inconvenience, must adopt adequate measures to reduce the sound and vibration levels of these and of the auxiliary machines that they use. To this end, among other measures, they can install acoustic silencers or vibration damping benches, or close the sound source or place it inside the structure under construction, once the state of the work allows it.
- The equipment and machines liable to produce noise and vibrations used in construction sites, buildings and work on public roads must comply with the provisions of the applicable sectoral regulations, and machines for outdoor use in particular, the prescriptions of Royal Decree 212/2002, of February 22, which regulates noise emissions in the environment due to certain machines for outdoor use, or the standard that replaces it. In any case, the complementary systems or equipment that are used must be the most suitable to reduce noise pollution.
- The usual hours, which may be modified by the Town Hall in each case, depending on special circumstances, will be:
- Work with heavy machinery for excavations (excavators, compressors, etc.). Regular hours: From 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., except the months of May to October, with reduced hours to minimize the inconvenience to the neighbourhood, only from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (the application of the restriction to industrial zones is excepted, rural areas or that have no impact on housing).
- Normal construction work, of a less noisy nature (work finishes, etc.).
- Regular hours: From 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- In compliance with the noise emission and emission conditions established for the area in question.
- Implementation of corrective measures to comply with emissions, with provision of acoustically isolated room, to carry out tasks specific to the work that generate noise.
- Total prohibition of any work that produces noises higher than those allowed by these regulations, outside of hours indicated and on holidays.
- In public works and in construction, machinery and equipment technically less noisy must be used, in the manner more suitable to generate the least possible noise pollution. Specifically:
- Electric generators installed on public roads must have a sound power of 90 dBPWL as maximum, with a spectrum without emerging tonal components. In the event that the work lasts more than one month, they must be replaced by an electrical connection, unless the work is in an urbanization, or there is a unfavourable report by the area electrical distributor.
- Combustion engines must be equipped with exhaust gas silencers and damping systems for noise and vibrations.
- The engines of the machines must be stopped when they are not in use.
Urgent works due to necessity or danger, or those that, due to their inconveniences, cannot be carried out during the day are exempted from the established prohibitions of working at night. In any case, night work must be expressly authorised by the municipal authority, who should determine the noise limits to be met.
Any construction activity outside the established hours is not allowed, except urgent or dangerous works in possession of a special license from the City Council.
Please, report any breach of the above regulation directly to the LOCAL POLICE 971 36 39 61